The Minister for Finance has overall responsibility for the Finance portfolio, and particular responsibility for the following:
- Budget policy advice and process, and review of government programs.
- Government financial accountability, governance and financial management frameworks, including grants and procurement policy and services.
- Shareholder advice on Government Business Enterprises (GBEs) and commercial entities treated as GBEs.
- Policy guidance and management of act of grace requests and waiver of debts owed to the Commonwealth.
- Policy guidance for Comcover, the government’s self-managed insurance fund, and risk policy.
- General policy guidelines for Commonwealth statutory authorities.
- Superannuation arrangements for Australian Government civilian employees and parliamentarians, and retirement benefits for Governors-General, Federal Judges and Federal Court Judges.
- Asset sales.
- Policy advice on the Future Fund and Australian Government Investment Funds, and authorisation of payments from Australian Government Investment Funds to entities.
- Government campaign advertising.
- Whole-of-Australian-Government (WoAG) property policy and administration, including non-Defence owned property.
- Regulatory reform.
- Digital transformation and data.