The Minister for Finance has overall responsibility for the Finance portfolio, and particular responsibility for the following:
- Budget policy advice and process, and review of government programs.
- Government financial accountability, governance and financial management frameworks, including grants and procurement policy and services.
- Shareholder advice on Government Business Enterprises (GBEs) and commercial entities treated as GBEs.
- Policy guidance and management of act of grace requests and waiver of debts owed to the Commonwealth.
- Policy guidance for Comcover, the government’s self-managed insurance fund, and risk policy.
- General policy guidelines for Commonwealth statutory authorities.
- Superannuation arrangements for Australian Government civilian employees and parliamentarians, and retirement benefits for Governors-General, Federal Judges and Federal Court Judges.
- Asset sales.
- Policy advice on the Future Fund and Australian Government Investment Funds, and authorisation of payments from Australian Government Investment Funds to entities.
- Parliamentary Business Resources Act 2017 expenses framework.
- Members of Parliament (Staff) Act 1984 (MOP(S)) Act employment framework (shared with the Prime Minister).
- Electoral policy.